Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Day Number One of My 21 Day Juice Fast


Last night, whilst trying to see if I could join NetFlix (using a HotSpot Shield which makes it seem like I am living in the US!), I came across a life changing documentary called, Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead. It is a story of an Australian man's journey across America -not to see the sights, but rather to heal himself of an auto-immune disease and lose as much weight by drinking only fruit and vegetable juice for 60 days. The adventure that unfolded was touching, inspiring and nothing short of miraculous. It is more than just a movie about how to lose weight and heal oneself of a so-called "incurable" disease ... it was a movie about community, compassion and selflessness. It was honestly one of the most beautiful movies I have ever seen. I have known for MANY, MANY years about the healing power of juicing and the importance of eating a healthy diet and maintaining a healthy lifestyle...I think we ALL do! It's one thing to know it, it's another to actually carry through and "walk the walk!" For the past five months I have been slipping in and out of a very deep depression. To deal with this pain, I have been drinking a TON of alcohol. Yes, I know this is the WORST thing a depressed person can do, but I was also experiencing anxiety that rendered me nearly catatonic. I "needed" the alcohol to calm myself and help me to SLEEP. I just couldn't stop a deluge of negative thoughts. I hated myself, I hated my house, I hated where I lived. I hated my life. So...I prayed. One night, I started to read a book I have on Angels. I know, it sounds silly to many people, but, I really DO believe that we have Angels watching over us and guiding us. After reading a bit about how to connect with the angels, I did a Google search and found some guided meditations on a wonderful site. FINALLY, after doing a few of these meditations, I was able to feel a sense of calm within, and I was able to sleep again, without getting hammered. Since I have connected to these healing angels, I have been thanking them, but also, I have been asking them to keep healing me, and to keep me happy. I don't think it was an accident AT ALL that I discovered the documentary, Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead. Even with my HotSpot Shield, I wasn't able to join NetFLix...but I WAS able to get onto Hulu, and it was on Hulu that I discovered this movie! I officially started a 21 day fast at 3:00 P.M. today, NOT this morning...because I had a venti cappuccino today whilst (yes, I do like that word) tutoring at Starbucks! I had 2 fruit and vegetable juices today at our local health food store...and I picked up some apples and veggies to juice tomorrow. The plan is to have 4-6 vegetable juices a day, for at LEAST 21 days. I will also exercise for an hour a day...not necessarily a HARD work out, but, I will at least walk for an hour every day. Today I worked out hard with my friend (and student) at the gym, but we only go 1-2 times per week. My goal is to increase that to at least 3 times per week. I also had a lovely sauna today...which is incentive to go to the gym, because it's so relaxing, and will help me sleep, since I will NOT be imbibing as I have been for SO long! I am a bit hungry now, but I feel SO hopeful and VERY positive. I don't view this as deprivation whatsoever. One affirmation I have been saying to myself (I read alot of Louise Hay books, and like to watch her and Wayne Dyer's videos) lately is: " I love myself and nurture my body with healthy food (and drinks!)." This kind of mind training REALLY works...and, with a little help from above, I know I can walk down this path and emerge healthier, happier, and LIGHTER...in more ways than one. I am really excited, and wonder what treasures await me! XXXX

No comments: